2009/11/22

Addiction vs Passion!


Decisions. Decisions.

Hmmm, Lets see.....The Nike Air Maxes drop next week....I could buy those.......and add ANOTHER shoe to the collection...

Orrrr, I could pay for studio time and invest in my dreams...

Hmmm....(clock ticks away...)

Now, Common Sense(not the rapper : D) would say pay for the studio time, heh! no kidding right...but for most, it's not that easy(if it was, there'd be no need for this article!).... If the answer is so blatantly obvious, how come we so often choose the opposite? Why do we prioritize our addictions over our passions, when it's so easy to fix? Lets find out... : D

Ahem, So, we find ourselves in the never ending struggle of..... Addiction versus Passion.....which is stronger in you??

Now, we all have different problems, so take a breather...and correlate this story to an area in life where YOU struggle....shoe collecting has been a particular vice of mine for the last few years....So to keep things simple, will stick with that!

1. My Addiction!

Over the years I gained respect as a shoehead. Digging through Mom and Pop shops, traveling the state of Cali for the rarest, authentic sneaks....and spending an arm and leg in the process. Sure, I had a few hookups, but money makes the world go round' (C.R.E.A.M! for the Wu heads!).... Often times I bought the same model in various colorways, in an effort to own every shoe that I loved....After amassing a large collection, I sat back...and pondered....what are all these shoes doing for my life?? Sure, I felt great after each purchase, and even better after rocking each pair for the first time(never been the type of cat to keep'em on ice, if your a collector, you know what that means : D) But I counted my feet (two!) and I couldn't rationalize a reason to own more than one hundred kicks...An addiction is often something you think you need, but doesn't bring true happiness.

Unsettling feeling....

Even worse, looking at my bank account after my shoe escapades....not cool. At times, I had no money to do any of the things I dreamed of doing in life. The shoes became nothing more than baggage, a burden tying me to a closet of fresh kicks....chained to them and unable to see the world.....Stuck in this trap.... And we wonder why our dreams are on standby?

2. Passion!

A passion for music. A goal I feverishly chase to this day. A calling in life. A dream etched in my heart through an unspoken language of the soul. It is, happiness...

But to get that feeling from my soul into the natural world....I need one thing.....Money! The Ruler of this world. Like it or not, you need it. It unlocks doors. And also....your money is where your heart is....think about it....you trade hours of your life to earn it..... If my heart is in my dream, than it should be natural to spend my cash there as well. It's no other option....Put up or Shut up!

3. The Shift!

Okay, I'm giving you game here...listen up. Start funneling your money into your dreams immediately. If you have a dream, throw away the thing that you don't need! Whatevers draining your money (I don't care if it's going out, buying alcohol, or collecting pogs, stop doing it!). The moment I shifted my money(my heart) to my dreams, doors began to open instantly. It's not just a shift in your cash, this is a change in character. You show the world, and God(I believe) where your heart is....and he honors that....Nas said it best, concerning God....

"You take one step towards him, he takes two towards you..."

Needless to say, my shoe buying days have dwindled....but the path to my goal is now illuminated! It's that easy. You write your own story.... And I'm not saying you have to go cold turkey on your addiction....because you may have a genuine love for it. Myself, I still buy shoes here and there, but balance is key. And it always comes after my dream....

(Oh right, the clocks still ticking...)

Sooooo.... I think I finally decided.....I'll probably pass on the Nike Air Maxes for now...I've got a dream to pay for... : D

You know.....You can't serve two Masters...so which will it be?

Addiction....or Passion?

2 comments: